Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What Soccer is All About

OCTOBER 19, 2008

McLEAN, VA -- Few games, maybe none, left me feeling about soccer and refereeing as did this one. It was cold, high 40s at game time, but was a beautiful sunny day. Just opened this fall was an artificial turf field at Springhill Recreation Park #2.

It was about a 150-200 meter walk down to the field which was nestled in the woods. It was beautiful at the field.

The teams were in the WDC -- WAGS Division Champion. These were the best of the best regardless of age. And really, standings don't matter, it really is about the competition.

The teams were the McLean Freedom which I later figured out was the old Gunston Team America/Washington Freedom team. In fact, they wore the Washington Freedom kit. The visitors were the Bethesda Dragons, who were winless (0-5-1) in the division but had just won their group in the WAGS Tournament Showcase.

The skill of these players was unbelievable. Both teams played touchline to touchline which meant this ref did a lot of running in the middle. The teams challenged each other but nothing reckless and nothing came close to being cardable. The players accepted every call I made and never squawked about the ones I didn't. No one tried to "work" this ref.

The score didn't matter. It was 0-0 at halftime but the play was perhaps 60-40 in favor of Freedom. Before the game began I asked a player what age group they were in and she told me U18. And then I recognized #19, Erica Hollenberg. I had reffed this team at Tyrrell three years ago against Dave Cresswell's U16 team. They were U15s playing up in age and destroyed the Courage 6-0. Erica had four goals that day and some were from very far out. She could hit them on a rope from 35 yards and hit the goal. I knew this was a good team.

I wouldn't say that I was nervous but it took me at least 20 minutes to figure out the game. And I was uncharacteristically quiet. I usually talk with the players when appropriate and I was really trying to find where I belonged in this match and never wanting to be caught behind play.

The first foul was easy. It was about 10 minutes in and a blue player (BETH) tugged the jersey of a white (MCLN) player near midfield. It was enough to slow her down and disrupt the play. A quick whistle and everyone accepted the call. I didn't have much throughout the game, maybe 10-12 fouls total.

There was scoring in the second half. The Freedom's #10 Caroline Miller scored in the 52' and 70 and Molly Menchel closed out the scoring in the 88'. In the second half I asked the BETH team how old they were and learned they were U16s. Wow. They weren't outplayed by a lot but the two year age difference was still noticeable.

But throughout the game I never heard one word of dissent from either bench or the players. And not a word from the parents either. Every call was accepted by the teams. No whining, no complaining.

Too many times referees believe the teams should be honored that they were there. I was honored to be part of this game. Right after the match I sent a note to WAGS and told them what a credit to WAGS and to the game these players and teams were.

No comments: