Friday, August 22, 2008

Senior Referee Physical Test

SPRINGFIELD, VA

At referee levels in USSF higher than the entry grades of 8 or 9 one must pass a physical test each year. My first one was in 2001 and I repeated in 2002 and 2003. My last attempt at the physical test was August 16, 2003.

There was a reason. My foot was getting progressively worse. The Achilles was constantly swollen. Ice therapy felt good but didn't help. I would have surgery in December and when that
didn't work, again in October, 2004.

I am in favor of a physical for every referee. One simply must be fit to be a soccer referee. But we don't test referees at Grade 8 and I was unable to continue with Grade 7 or higher after the surgeries.

In August, 2003, I was required to run 1800 meters in 12 minutes. One is required to run for 12 minutes -- how far depends on the referee Grade and age. I agree with a higher level for higher grades but not a lower level for advanced age. You're either fit for that level or you're not. But still, over 45, and one gets a special age dispensation. I disagree with it but will take it.

I went out and ran 2200 meters. That would have qualified me to be a State referee under 45. But looking back, I seemingly was always injured. In December, 2002, I limped through on a very bad hamstring. In August, 2003, it was the Achilles as it always was for about 10 years. Geez!

For five years I gave up the Sr. Ref grade and limped through as a Grade 8. But I was assessed in May, at the same stadium at West Springfield H.S. where the physical was today.

There were three of us on the track. The other two refs were both State referees, Grade 6. One was 35 and the other was 45. I was the old guy at 53. They had to run 2200 meters and I had to run 1800. But I wasn't going to do the bare minimum.

The temperature was in the mid 80s which wasn't bad for a mid-August day. We started the run. The "youngster" led out the pace and for half a lap we were in age order, 1-2-3. I thought we would stay together but I found the two younger guys were a bit stronger. I decided to let them go.

Plus I hadn't warmed up but none of us had. I was starting to suffer greatly. And my thoughts went to my lunchtime ride with the boys from DC Velo. We were flying when the leaders took off. At first I thought I would match them but one guy got spit out the back. I stayed with the group but then remembered "hey, I run tonight." I sat up and decided to ride my own pace.
But it wasn't long before I hooked up with another rider. He was shot off the back too. The leaders took the word "group" out of group ride. Oh well, I got in a nice ride, 19+ mph average and thought I saved something for the test. Maybe not.

On the track, our two leaders stayed together and I watched their butts leaving me in the distance. But after a lap and a half I saw I was gaining on runner #2 and runner #1 was off by himself. Strange how this came back together. By the end of lap two I was back up with #2 and thought I would pace off him. Instead, I passed him. And never looked back.

He made his time -- barely. He just got his 2200 meters he needed to pass. I never caught up to #1 but almost did. My distance was an honest 2500 meters -- almost a full lap better than when I last did this event five years ago.

We also had to run the 200 meter and 50 meter runs. Qualifying time was 40 seconds in the 200 and nine seconds in the 50. No start blocks, just a standing start. Not looking to pull any muscles, the three of us basically did a hard jog to easily make the times.

It felt good doing another physical test. Especially so because I do not run. I don't remember the last time I went for a run. A ride, yes. Play Ultimate, yes. But not for a run. I just don't do it so it was satisfying knowing that my fitness is up but about 15% better than five years ago.

No comments: