Thursday, March 13, 2008

Finally - High School

Let's be real. I am on the downward slope of athletic ability, having lost more than a step the past few years. Just about the time I thought about doing high school games in addition to USSF games, I started having severe foot problems which resulted in three surgeries in four years. I decided there were only so many games in these legs and not to pursue the high school route too.
With some gentle nudging over the winter, that changed. I attended our rules clinic and last night took on my first assignment as a referee. It was Potomac vs. Osbourn Park (OP). OP is the defending Va. AAA boys champion. What a game to start.

It's still winter although late in the day the temperature climbed to near 60. The 5:30 match was the JVs. We used a two-man system on that game with both of us referees. I soaked through one Under-Armour shirt and then changed between games. For the second I was an AR. After sunset temperatures dipped back into the 40s.

I knew kids on both teams. That's one of the drawbacks (?) of being Head Referee for PWSRA. But it was fun. And to them I will say do not be offended if I do not acknowledge you. I do know you but it does give the appearance of bias if I am chatting it up with you. So during games, you will be number 23 and I will be ref.

This was my first assignment and I had an assessor at the match. Although it wasn't for me, it was for the assigned referee who had worked high school games but for another group, but I was still under the watchful eye of the association's assessor.

The games were mostly uneventful. OP won 4-1 in the JV game and 5-0 in the varsity. Most importantly, I survived and look forward to my next assignment tomorrow at Forest Park.

No comments: